I originally posted a recipe for Whipped Shea Butter over a year ago, and we've been using it quite religiously ever since. I've made a few changes, though, which I find quite effective. So here's the updated recipe.
- 10 oz Shea butter (preferably unrefined, cold pressed or however the equivalent works for it)
- 4 oz carrier oil (I used grapeseed oil or calendula-infused sunflower oil, if I've got it on hand)
- 1 oz unrefined beeswax
- 1 oz unrefined cocoa butter
- essential oils - I use about 20 drops each French Alp lavender, tea tree and grapefruit seed extract to help with K's eczema, but a nice smelling combination is peru balsam & cinnamon oils.
- 10 capsules of vitamin E - just the oil inside, I discard the capsules
scoop into clean and preferably sterilized containers. I haven't yet tried, but I bet using a parchment paper icing bag with a big icing nozzle would work really well. Place the lids on the containers and put away. Make sure to use up all the extra loveliness stuck to the bowl & mixer parts!
When you go to apply the cream, it will be stiff and hard-ish in the container, but the heat from your hands will melt it really quickly, so as you apply it to your skin, it will soak in beautifully. Enjoy!